Re: Prepping a B for Hell.

To: Steve Gibbons <steve@wyrm.AZTech.Net>
Subject: Re: Prepping a B for Hell.
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 23:43:34 +0100
Steve Gibbons wrote:

> I'd like advice on how to prep an MGB for 120F summers.  The last two years
> have been H-E-double-hockey-sticks, and I'd rather not repeat some of the
> abuse that she's had to endure.  So far, I'm contemplating another 7 rows
> of oil-cooler, an electric fan in addition to the stock fan, and aditives
> for the radiator.  Any other suggestions?
>
> --
> Steve

Your ISP is AZTech.Net? You're in Phoenix? Sell me your rust-free car!

Okay, okay, so maybe you want to keep it. A few ideas:

a) Back timing off two degrees.
b) Run two flats (+- RCH) rich
c) If air pump still there, leave belt off for the summer
d) 180 or 165 degree thermostat
e) run demister/heater when temp above 3/4s
f) install a working windshield washer system but run jets
   to front of radiator -- use when close to hot
g) take all the paint off your radiator
h) run oil cooler below radiator so it doesn't obstuct heat
i) devise use of temp operated fan clutch
j) oil pressure good? run straight 30 weight
k) every time temp gauge over 7/8's stop at tavern
l) seal top/around radiator so air must go through it
m) run fresh-air hoses to stock intake horns
n) switch to a night job
o) run 4 more pounds of air in tires (or max)
p) take all the extra crap out of boot

My experience? None. My cars are fine in the Heartland.
Use this advice accordingly.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6