Re: Prepping a B for Hell.

To: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Subject: Re: Prepping a B for Hell.
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:56:14 -0500
Jeez, I should just stay out of this one. But I found an interesting URL
at

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/lubricants-redline.html

which is a synopsis of an old interview with a RedLine spokesman. Lots
of interesting data there but pertinient to this discussion:

*********************
Coolants

Red Line Water Wetter is a surfactant - reduces the surface tension of
the water. Allows the water to more intimately contact metal. When the
water boils, the surfactant makes smaller bubbles, which makes it easier
for the bubble to be pushed away from the metal surface, and allow more
water to contact the metal.

Water Wetter has a high Ph, but also has silicates, so it can be used in
aluminium radiators. However, if left for a long time, the silicates are
depleted, and damage will occur. The liquid versions of Water Wetter do
not have phosphates.

Discovered by Roy Howell. Some engineers were begging Roy to develop a
corrosion inhibitor to add to straight water for racers, since racers
rarely use AntiFreeze. He did some work, developed Water Wetter simply
as a corrosion inhibitor, and gave it to Huffaker. Huffaker immediately
noticed lower operating temperatures, and Roy started to investigate
why.

You *can* cool an engine too much. The ideal temperature for coolant is
190 F.

AntiFreeze has 1/4 heat transfer capability of straight water.

Temperature recordings at block water jacket exit, after stabilizing:

        Water   Anti-Freeze     Water Wetter    Temperature (F)
        50%     50%             No              228
        50%     50%             Yes             220
        100%    0%              No              220
        100%    0%              Yes             202
*********************

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6

Christopher M. Delling wrote:

> thomas_pokrefke@juno.com wrote:
> >
> > I forgot where I learned this from, but I remember being told that a
> > single drop of dishwashing liquid (ie- Palmolive, Dawn, et al) in the
> > radiator breaks the surface tension of the water.

        <snip>

 > Thomas James Pokrefke, III
> > 1970 MGB
> > thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
> > http://ocean.st.usm.edu/~pokrefke
> I have seen a rather tasteless joke -- Fuzzy Zoeller
        <editorial snip>