RE: front wheel bearings (MBG GT)

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: front wheel bearings (MBG GT)
From: patti morris <mgj2@globaldialog.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 07:24:16 -0500
Hi Stef,

Sounds like you have the roller part of the wheel bearings out but =
you're wondering how to remove the cone shaped inner races and the oil =
seal from the back (inner) side of the hub.=20

The seal is removed by inserting a larger flat screwdriver through the =
center of the seal and under it then twist the screw driver to pry the =
seal up and up and out. Do the prying a little at a time, working around =
the seal. If you do have the roller part of the back (inside) bearing =
out, you can probably insert the screwdriver through the hub and get the =
screwdriver blade on the edge of the seal and knock it out that way. I =
don' think the roller part of the inner (back) bearing is out at this =
point because the seal prevents it. Don't worry about damaging the seal =
but try not to damage the hub.

The bearing inner races are press fit into the hub. You may want to wipe =
the grease away so you can get a look at the enemy. When you look inside =
the hub you should be able to see the edge of the inner races. You need =
to use a long punch (or a big screwdriver you don't care about) and a =
hammer. Put the hub up on a piece of wood, first with the inside side =
down. Stick the punch down into the hub and get the tip on the edge of =
the inner race closest to the bottom. Using the hammer drive the inner =
race down, a little at a time and working around the inner race so you =
don't get it crooked. Be careful not to damage the hub. Once that one is =
out flip the hub over and drive the other race out.

Clean the hub inside.

The new races go back in the same way. Be careful you get them started =
straight. I usually smear a little grease on the race and hub to ease =
the installation and use a piece of wood to cushion the blows as long as =
I can. Sometimes you can use a big socket on top of the race to =
distibute the hammer blows. Look inside ob sure the inner race goes all =
the way in.

When you grease the roller part of the bearing, work the grease through =
it and between the rollers don't just smear a little on the outside. Put =
the inner roller in first. Smear a little grease around the oil seal and =
the hub where it goes. Align the seal on the hub and gently tap into =
place. Try to hit it just around the edge and work around it so it goes =
in straight. Smear a little grease on the seal lip so it isn't running =
dry.

Clean the spindle (axle) and check the surface the seal runs on. Slip =
the hub up onto the spindle and install the spacer and the other greased =
roller bearing. Then there's a washer, the nut and a cotter pin. Don't =
over tighten the nut trying to line up the cotter pin holes.

Good Luck!

John