RE: front wheel bearings (MBG GT) -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: front wheel bearings (MBG GT) -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 10:12:34 -0400

>>> patti morris <mgj2@globaldialog.com> 05/02/97 08:24am >>>
"Hi Stef,

"Sounds like you have the roller part of the wheel bearings out but you're
wondering how to remove the cone shaped
inner races and the oil seal from the back (inner) side of the hub.

"The bearing inner races are press fit into the hub....   Using the hammer
drive the inner race down...

"The new races go back in the same way. Be careful you get them started
straight. I usually smear a little grease on
the race and hub to ease the installation and use a piece of wood to cushion
the blows as long as I can. Sometimes
you can use a big socket on top of the race to distibute the hammer blows. Look
inside ob sure the inner race goes all
the way in."

Excellent description, Patti.  I haven't done this on my MG yet, but I've gone
through it on a lot of other cars.

I'd like to add that to put the new race in, you can use the old race as a
drift.  I set the new race in the hub and gently
tap it in until it's flush with the hub face.  Then to seat it, I put the old
race in upside down against the new one, and tap
them the rest of the way in.  I put the old race upside down for two reasons.
It makes a larger area to hammer against,
and with the thick end up, you can grab the old race with a pair of channel
locks to yank it out once it's done the job.