Re: Front End Shimmey

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Front End Shimmey
From: "G.J." <johnsong@is2.dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 09:06:26 -0300 (ADT)
On Mon, 5 May 1997, Robert Allen wrote:

> I'm confused on a "front-end" shimmy that wouldn't be felt in the
> steering wheel. Can you help me out here? If the wheel is steady while
> the front end is shimmying, I would tend to think out-of-round tires or
> a shock that isn't doing it's job. Are you having to endure wire wheels?

Actually, MY shimmy can be felt in the steering wheel.  I did atempt a
refurbishing of the column, ans there was much looseness.  It was tight in
all directions,but has since become loose again at the bushing close to
the U-joint, and has some "in-and-out" movement (note: a '72 collapsable
column), so I feel any shimmys easily.

> I've also had shimmy problems but they were felt entirely through the
> wheel. A combination of brand new, balanced tires, and a careful
> alignment has pretty much fixed the problem. Toe at zero, camber
> negative a degree. Camber matching. If you can't go negative camber, I'd
> go with a little more toe -- maybe 3/32s. If you can get more negative
> camber, I'd try 0 or sligthly positive toe.

mis-alignment can cause a shimmy?  Everything in the suspension is
rebuilt, so I assume the only thing I need to worry about is toe-in, but I
have not noticed any incorrect wearing of the tires.  I guess I should try
a check of the toe-in anyhoo.

   / ______/        |   |  Greg Johnson      * See the British Automobile
 /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.            Touring Assoc. of NS
 \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dal. University                     Home Page!*
   \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
          \/
                 www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/BATANS/