Re: "beaters"

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "beaters"
From: Michael Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 22:11:43 -0700
As a new member to the list, I guess I can thake the "Beater" thread and
introduce myself and my three MGB's.
        For my first car, I found a 1980 Midget, and had put a down
payment on her until my Dad said no.  I'd kill myself, he said, as he
lured me towards a Plymouth.  I was in love with British cars.
        Last year, my college roommate told me about his two 1977 MGB's
that he was trying to sell, one ran, one didn't.  I got the one that ran
and towed it from Daytona Fl to Pittsburgh!  After a summer's worth of
tinkering, I got her running better, inspected, and on the road with a
week of summer to spare.  I bought the other '77 this fall, and parted
her out in FL.  I got some better fenders, another engine and tranny, and
a non-leaking brake master cylinder.  Over Christmas break of this year,
I hit an ice patch, and then a telephone pole, totalling her.  I cried,
and it really hurt because of my broken rib!  I was inconsolable.  She
even had overdrive!  My dark blue B gone, I started looking again.
        Two weeks later, while talking to a distant buddy about the
wreck, I mused, "Boy, I'd do anything for another MG."  He told me about
the one that sat in his uncle's back yard since it was restored.  I
inquired, and the '74 chrome bumpered B was for sale!  It had a bad
backfire, but I could drive it!  I was estatic!  As I hopped in the B in
early January, I dropped the top, what a joy!  As I started the car, I
was told about the bad rear wheel cylinder.  A short trip around the
yard, and the brakes weren't great, but I could stop with a careful blend
of downshifting and pumping.  My friend and I motored down the driveway,
the car backfiring and missing miserably, and shot down the road.  What
joy and rapture I felt until I heard a terrible "sploosh" coming from the
front wheel area as I applied the brakes.  The front brake hose
shattered, and as we zoomed down a hill, I imagined the telephone pole,
again.  I managed to get the car into second gear, and at the apex of
another hill, jammed the e-brake to bring the car to a screaming stop.
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!  At 25 mph, an MGB with it's e-brake being
pumped does some crazy moves!  The tow truck driver wondered what we
could have been thinking, driving a car with bad brakes in January with
the top down!  I got the beautiful black B for $100 less than he was
aking, due to the little adventure!  He replaced fenders, floorboards,
and rebuilt the SU's.  The car had been in 100% better than the '77
at it's best.  The best part came when I noticed the odometer:
73,000 miles!  After I got her home, she wouldn't start, and that's when
I got the electronic igniton.  My question, after all this, is can I
replace my non-servo unit with my later-model servo system?  Has anyone
tried this with any luck?  Is there enough room in the engine bay?
Thanks for listening, I'd like to think that this B will be a little more
lucky!

Mike Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College
Elementary Education Major, English Minor,
Class of 1999
R.A. of Winston-Salem Hall

"If you want to be happy for a few hours, get drunk.  If you want to be
happy for a few years, get married.  If you want to be happy forever, get
an MGB."