Wiper switch mystery

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wiper switch mystery
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 14:30:49 -0400
Greetings.  I wonder if any of you can shine a light on this question.

I pulled off steering column cover of my '74 B this weekend (to get the horn
working).  In the process I happened to
bump my wiper lever in a new direction, and was surprised to find that it has
some sort of forward/backward switch
positions just like the dimmer switch on the turn signal lever.  Can anyone
shed some light on this?  It's not one of
those important "My brake pedal kisses the floorboard" questions, but I'm
embarrassed not to have figured this out, and
I'm as curious as can be.

My guess?  It was cheaper to manufacture a single switch, so the turn signal
and wiper switches are actually the same
part with a few springs moved around.  I hope someone will offer a better
explanation than that.

Thanks in advance.

 -- Matt Kulka
'74 B (that's all I'm admitting to)