Re: Pulling gearbox, what else?

To: Steve Gibbons <steve@wyrm.AZTech.Net>
Subject: Re: Pulling gearbox, what else?
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 12:49:12 -0700
Steve Gibbons wrote:
> My questions: What else should be done while Di's out of commission?
> Any tricks/hints on insertion/removal of various pieces/parts would be
> appreciated.

I assume that you're pulling the engine and trans together. Once you
get it loose and start pulling it up and out, you can let the air out
of the front tires, rear, or both to change the angle/height of the car.
This can make things a little easier, and can angle the car to a good
spot. Usually I end up flatening the rear tires and leaving the fronts
full, this angles the car the same way the engine will be comming out
which really helps keep the tailshaft of the trans from scraping the
trans tunnel.
Don't pull an engine with the car on jack stands, you can pull the
car right off.
The very first thing you should do is remove the hood/bonnet, mark the
position of the hinges so you can reconnect it in exactly the same
position.
The hard part is not pulling the engine, it's reinstalling and
reconnecting all the little stuff.
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"