Re: Pulling gearbox, what else?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Pulling gearbox, what else?
From: "Murch, Paul" <murch@y-city.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 23:37:55 -0400
Steve Gibbons wrote:
> My questions: What else should be done while Di's out of commission?
> Any tricks/hints on insertion/removal of various pieces/parts would be
> appreciated.

I have pulled the engine out of my 66 several times for varous
transmition problems.  I have always done the procedure as a unit using
a racheting hoist attached to a chain around a 4 x 4 that is spanning
across several garage rafters.  This has saved me the expence of renting
an engine hoist and I belive it to be fairly safe.  The engine
and transmition have a combined weight of under 300 pounds and
distributing it over several rafters causes no problems.  The one
problem that I have encountered is that I must move the car out of the
way of the engine instead of the other way around as you would have with
a hoist.  At all times I have used reasonable common sense, such as
keeping all appendages out of under the engine and when moving it
relative to the car.

Paul Murch
66B