Re: Pulling gearbox, what else?

To: "Murch, Paul" <murch@y-city.net>
Subject: Re: Pulling gearbox, what else?
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 10:08:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 16 May 1997, Murch, Paul wrote:

> I have pulled the engine out of my 66 several times for varous
> transmition problems.  I have always done the procedure as a unit using
> a racheting hoist attached to a chain around a 4 x 4 that is spanning
> across several garage rafters.  This has saved me the expence of renting
> an engine hoist and I belive it to be fairly safe.  The engine
> and transmition have a combined weight of under 300 pounds and
> distributing it over several rafters causes no problems.  The one

  Paul,

  I think the weights listed above may be a bit low: the B series
  lump tips the scales at about 340lbs dry, w/o the gearbox.
  (Complete Handbook of Automotive Power Trains, Jan Norbye) Add
  another 125lbs or so for the flywheel/clutch/gearbox/OD, etc.

  Do you hear any creaking with the chain over that 4x4?  ;-)

   --Scott