Re: So much to do, so little time

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: So much to do, so little time
From: Steve Gibbons <steve@wyrm.AZTech.Net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 02:42:56 -0700
Emily (actually it was probably Kirk) Cowen Wrote:

> Hi Steve Gibbons!!

> On Fri, 16 May 1997, Steve Gibbons wrote:

> > Steve (A relative newbie seeking perspective)
> > '74 MGB "Di" (A "beater" trying to decide where to turn)

> > mentioned above are my attempts to gain a convert (Which is really
>difficult to
> > do, when your S.O. drives a Saturn SC2, and has never driven a stick...)
>*sigh*

> Well, when your SO starts to question your "expensive" '74, ask her how
> much a 5 year old Saturn sc2 will be worth, subtract that value from the
> new price, and divide the result by 5 to get the cost per year to
> drive her Saturn...  I'm guessing about 2 to 3 thousand per year.

> Imagine spending that kind of money on your "B" EACH YEAR for 5 years!!

> Sure would buy a LOT of nice parts for yer "B"; like a new
> cross flow head, rim-flow valves, coil over tube shock
> conversion, electronic ignition, 2 litre conversion, new Perelli
> tyres, stainless steel exhaust with a Borla stainless muffler, leather
> interior, Hella (or equivalent) headlight conversion, wire wheels, and
> last but not least, a nice laquer paint job!!  And how about a little
> blower to give you a little more grunt in 4th over?

Actually things are even better than you outlined, Kirk.  I just financed my
first car today (hard to imagine that after 28 years on this earth, I have
_no_ credit history, but it's true...  I've always waited until I could afford
it, and if I really wanted it, I paid cash.  The first place I went to called
me "Casper".)  Anyway, I have a reliable daily driver, and since I have to
pull the engine and tranny on the "B" to deal with my gearbox and don't have
the "I need her back on the road on Monday" pressures it will be much easier
to space the pricey upgrades over time.  I think my fiance might actually
enjoy the ride (without embarassment) when Di gets to where I'd like her to
be.

I think Tracey's dad (my inhouse mechanical/resoration expert) is enjoying the
options that we have now too.  I'm really looking forward to working with him
on this, given the flexibility of not having to put everything back into
working order by the end of the weekend.

End LBC Content: I now owe payments for a good-long time on a Ford Taurus GL.
Given my needs, it fits better than a LBC, but I have not and will not give
up on LBCs.  The weather is "right" for more days in the year here than just
about anywhere else, and I expect that Di will still get more real-road
mileage than most.

Alvie, Tracey's dad, is probably the best mechanic I know (even counting my
uncle Mike, who purchased Di and raced other "B"s in the 70s and was a pro.
mechanic for many years.)  I feel d*mn lucky to have someone with such
skill and patience who is willing to help, and who understands what its like
to own/drive a LBC.  (If anyone has friends with deep pockets, I have a prize-
winning '49 Ford sitting in my garage that I'm sure he'd love to get offers
on, and talk about, but probably wouldn't actually sell.)

End Babble: (My computer actually said "It's 2:30AM, Go to bed, Steve")

--
Steve