Re: Shifting into First

To: Bob Gaughan <gaughan@highway1.com>
Subject: Re: Shifting into First
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 22:40:17 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Bob Gaughan!!

On Sun, 18 May 1997, Bob Gaughan wrote:

> Any optimum way of shifting into a non-synchro first gear on a '61 MGA
> 1600 without grinding up a pound and a half each time?

Yes, there is...  it's called "double clutching".  You shift out of
second, into NEUTRAL, then tap the throttle to increase the transmission
input shaft speed, and then put the clutch back in and slip the
gearshift into first gear.

The trick is in matching the engine/input shaft speed to the first gear
speed.  It's a lot like riding a bike.  It's a grunt to learn, but once
you do, you'll never loose the ability.  You give it gas, and shift when
it "feels" right...  kind of a lame explanation, but the best I can do.

It comes in real handy if your clutch slave cylinder decides to die on
you in traffic.  You don't really need a clutch to shift up and down
through the gears once you learn the technique.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen