RE: MG Songs and now books.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: MG Songs and now books.
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 21 May 1997 09:31:44 -0500
In <c=US%a=_%p=TCI%l=TCI/HERMES/001E7CBA@brahms.tci.com>, Haynes, Daniel wrote:
>I love music and the songs are great, but my first experience with an MG
>came
>about because of a Scholastic book bought at school.  When I was an
>elementary child (during the 60's), I bought and read a book called "MG
>Racer".  It was about a young teenager who bought and raced an MG TC.
>There
>was the crusty old mechanic who helped him learn to race, showed him
>that the
>tach was more important than the speedometer, you get the picture.

Not quite.  It was called "The Red Car", and involved a young feller
named Hap and the Crusty Old Mechanic (stock character) was Frenchy Le
Becque (or something like that), a Grand Prix champion who quit racing
because he had an accident in which someone was killed.

The book extols TC's, tolerates TD's and besmirches TF's.  My car is
Red, but it's a TD.  I'm not as lucky as Hap....

>I lost the book, but gained a love for the marquee.  If anyone knows
>where to
>find that title or has also read the book, l'd love to chat about it.

I have a copy of it, but hold it firmly and reread it every few years
for inspiration....  I can get the author's name, it was a Scholastic
Book Club publication, copyright about 1960, obviously no ISBN.

There are also the Henry Gregor Felsen books.  Not British iron, but
filled with hotrods and teenagers with raging hormones.

        Driving is better than reading, but only just   A. B. Bonds