Re: LBC week, leaf springs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Barney Gaylord <barneymg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: LBC week, leaf springs
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 19:59:26 +0000
Barney Gaylord wrote:

> >On Fri, 16 May 97 06:28:13 UT "David Stecher"
> ><DavidAndMichelleS@msn.com> wrote:
> >
> >I will be replacing the leaf springs soon.  Does anyone have any words
> >of wisdom or helpful hints?
>
> Yep.  Just finished installing my new leaf springs, a wonderfully dirty
> job...

No wish to gainsay Barney but I changed the rears this weekend in two hours and
the
fronts in one.  The only thing I did different was to remove the rear shocks,
links
and plate complete, I found it easier than struggling with the links as I had
done
before.

I fitted rubber bumper springs front and rear as I needed more ground and rear
wheel
arch clearance for forthcoming touring in France.  The new rears were one inch
taller
in the centre when compared to the old when placed side by side on the ground,
and the
fronts were 3/4 inch shorter.  Both sets are a higher rate to cope with the
extra
weight of rubber bumpers (or to be factually correct, the armatures in the
bumpers).

On the car the rear is two inches higher and the front one inch higher, but it
should
settle a little, an inch all round would be nice.  The rear tires are now clear
of the
arches (they rubbed under cornering before 'cos of the wider rear track of a
conversion from Rostyles to wires) and I can remove them by jacking the axle
rather
than having to jack the body.  The biggest difference in driving is the marked
reduction in dive under braking, and reduced roll, both due to the higher rate.

PaulH.