Oil Pressure

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil Pressure
From: Bob Gaughan <gaughan@highway1.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 13:25:20 -0400
Took my '61 MGA 1600 out for its first "long trip"- 40 miles out and
back at highway speed of about 50-60 MPH.  The temperature stayed right
around 190 degrees and the oil pressure at 30.  Toward the end, about a
mile from home, after I got off the highway, the pressure went down to
around 0.  I got it home, it was down about 1/2 to 3/4 a quart.  Filled
it up, started it up and I was running around 30 on the oil pressure
again.

It leaks a little around the spin-on adapter (I haven't been able to get
it to stop that), and it seemed that at 50-60 MPH it was pushing oil
from the valve cover gasket.

Driving around town on the back roads, the pressure stays around 25 to
35.  It seems that if I take it out on the highway, I lose a lot more
oil.

I'm going to put a new gasket on the Valve cover.  What sort of
"sealant" should I use on the gasket?  How tight the two bolts?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
Bob Gaughan