Re: Oil Pressure

To: gaughan@highway1.com
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 18:19:35 -0400 (EDT)

<< Took my '61 MGA 1600 out for its first "long trip"- 40 miles out and
 back at highway speed of about 50-60 MPH.  The temperature stayed right
 around 190 degrees and the oil pressure at 30.  Toward the end, about a
 mile from home, after I got off the highway, the pressure went down to
 around 0.  I got it home, it was down about 1/2 to 3/4 a quart.  Filled
 it up, started it up and I was running around 30 on the oil pressure
 again.<<<<<

Bob,
I had the same problem with my spin on adaptor from Moss.  After I installed
it, it was leaking between the engine block and the adaptor.  I removed the
adaptor and double checked the rubber seal which may have been twisted and
not seating properly.  I used some non hardening Permatex sealant on the
surfaces and re-installed the adapter.  I haven't had a problem since.

Your oil pressure does seem a bit too low.  But that's out of my ballpark.
 Could be gauge, but doubtfull.  Is the engine well worn?  My engine has
about 5 to 10 hours on it since a complete rebuild and my oil pressure is
around 50+ psi when first started and 40 to 50 after it warms up.

 <<<<It leaks a little around the spin-on adapter (I haven't been able to get
 it to stop that), and it seemed that at 50-60 MPH it was pushing oil
 from the valve cover gasket.<<<<<

You can use the same non hardening Permatex or the blue Permatex Gasket Maker
silicone engine sealant for the bottom side of the valve cover gasket.  Just
make sure both surfaces are clean and dab some on both the head surface and
the gasket surface for a good seal.  I never use sealant on the top side of
the gasket, because it has to be removed periodically to check and adjust the
valves.

If you still have a leakage problem, there may be something wrong with the
valve cover surface.  As far as tightening the valve cover goes, I'm not sure
of the torque spec., I just tighten until snug, but not enough to distort the
metal.

 <<<<Driving around town on the back roads, the pressure stays around 25 to
 35.  It seems that if I take it out on the highway, I lose a lot more
 oil.>>>>>

Probably due to higher revs causing higher pressure.

Good luck!!

Scott Helms
1957  100-6 BN4L - 0 - 49881
1958  TR3A TS35306L