Re: Crack-prone heads?

To: gardner@lwcomm.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Crack-prone heads?
From: MLishego@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 11:43:58 -0400 (EDT)
My first head from the '77's that I had was blowing smoke at start-up due to
some cracks around the valve seats.  The second head blew two head gaskets
due to a six-inch crack that ran from the rocker mounts on cylinder two to
the spark plug hole.  When I replaced the head, I used the first one...Who
cares if it smokes at start-up?
My machine shop told me that most MGB heads that come in are cracked.  He
claims that it's due to the heat stress, and the few that aren't cracked have
oil coolers on the cars...
Many places can plug or weld the cracks.  Neither of my heads were
repairable.  I'm just hoping that my '74 is ok when it comes time for new
valves.
Question for the list:  What type of spark plugs are good for the 1800 series
MGB?  The manuals all say Champion, but a few folks have also recommended
NGK.  Should I stick with the manual, or go with something else?
~Mike