Re: desmogging a B

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (mgs)
Subject: Re: desmogging a B
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 10:32:20 -0500 (CDT)
John Middlesworth writes:

> If you do all the following to your engine, what system is left to control
> crankcase ventilation?

> On Mon, 26 May 1997, pbailey wrote:

> > Has anyone desmogged a later B? Taking the pump gulp valve off ,plugging
> > the air holes ,running the vacuum advance directly to the distributer
> > ,as described in Porter's DIY restoration guide?I know this isn't QUITE
> > legal but what if any would be the benifits of doing this it looks like
> > an easy job according to the book...Pat

The air pump and gulp valve are not part of PCV.  On my '74, PCV is
quite simply handled by a hose running from the front tappet cover to a
Y splitter, which routes one hose to each of the carbs.  That's it.
Carb vacuum sucks a bit on the crankcase, and all's well.

--

Todd "Except for that nasty blow-by" Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with ovali[zs]ed bores

That's me at the corner.
That's me at the stoplight,