Re: Delco alternator/bolt it right on

To: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: Delco alternator/bolt it right on
From: ewsinc@blazenet.net (Charlie Baldwin)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:04:50 -0400
Editors, Molecular Vision wrote:

> >I've seen this Delco alternator conversion at Merryman's shop. It looks
> >very clean as it does in the picture in NAMGBR Driver. They have taken a
> >standard Delco alternator that can be found anywhere and modified the
> >casing so that it is a straightforward bolt in replacement for the Lucas
> >alternator in later B's. The kit comes with the necessary connector and
> >instructions to just plug it in to the existing connector. Very clean,
> >very simple, hence the twenty minute installation. These guys run a high
> >quality restoration/service shop and know first hand about some of the
> >weak points with MG's and have come up with the alternator and fan
> >conversions to upgrade and make the cars more bulletproof. All of the
> >modifications I've seen that they've made to cars end up looking like
> >they came that way from the factory. Perhaps some of you saw there stand
> >at Carlisle(I think row F, but don't quote me).
> >
> >Charlie Baldwin
> >'52 TD, '60 MGA, '66 MGB
>
> Charlie,
>
> Do you know if they do similar mods for Spridgets?
>
> Jeff
>
> _____________________________________________________MV
>
> Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
> Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
> http://www.emory.edu/molvis
Jeff,

I asked Alan Tucker of Merryman about this when I first saw the
alternator in their shop and he said that the same conversion is used
but isn't quite as clean. I don't recall why. You could give them a call
at (717)633-6083. He or Jack Merryman can give you the pros and cons for
your car. They will be familiar with all of the Spridget variations.
Quite a few people in our local MG club have taken work to them and as
far as I know all were pleased with the results.

Charlie
'52 TD, '60 MGA, '66 MGB