Re: vernacular

To: dmeadow@juno.com, hyoung@dhhmail.dhh.state.la.us
Subject: Re: vernacular
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 97 20:50:21 PDT
Ladies and Gentlemen:

You are talking poultry here. A young chicken is a "fryer" (2 to 3 pounds
in weight)  whereas an old hen (about 6 pounds) is a "boiler," too tough to
fry.

Bloke to butcher: " Do you have a henway?"
Butcher: "What's a henway?"
First bloke: "Oh, about 5 or 6 pounds!"

I gotta go.

DFD
Counting my chickens in the Missouri Ozarks.
----------

> My Australian friends tell me that this is a somewhat demeaning, yet
> affectionate (any contradiction here?) way to refer to the wife.  I can't
> give you the origin, except to speculate that she's an "old boiler" as
> opposed to a "young fryer."  A few years ago an Australian politician got
> into hot water for referring to his wife as "the old boiler."
>
> David Littlefield
> Houston, TX
>
> On Tue, 03 Jun 1997 10:02:41 -0500 Howard Young
> <hyoung@dhhmail.dhh.state.la.us> writes:
> >could some one from the U.K. or other wise knowledgeable tell me what
> >the "Old English" expression "an old boiler" means ? if its not
> >suitable for
> >public consumption  email me direct.
                                          Thanks,