RE: Jumps out of reverse

To: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: RE: Jumps out of reverse
From: "john ruse" <hologothic@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 97 11:23:20 UT

>I have a '64 Sprite Mk III with a 1275 substituted in by a PO. It likes to
>jump out of reverse. If I veeerrrry slowly release the clutch while >keeping
>the revs pretty high it will stay in gear _sometimes_. With just a little
>patience I have been able to work around this, but slipping the clutch >this
.>much cannot be good for it. It does fine in other gears, though it's a
>little loud in first (normal for straight-cut gear?)

Yes, sliping the clutch is bad news. If you're going to do this you're
probably better off just holding the lever into reverse unless you do loads of
miles like this! Not highly recommended but cheap and the damage is alreay
done so further wear will be confined to to reverse. Slipping thew clutch will
stuff everything!

First gears are noisier than helicals but under the carpets and tunnel not
amazingly more so. It would be a first if your laygear and sync hub weren't
worn also.

It would be nice to hope that you just had a sticky ball and spring in the
shift mechanism and a gentle tap with a hide hammer to the side of the case
would do the trick. Worth a try but don't hold your breath!

If you get to the point where you think you need to replace items, get a few
quotes and then get back to me before you part with your dosh!!

john

hologothic@msn.com

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD               '64 Sprite Mk III
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision       '47 Cessna 140
http://www.emory.edu/molvis             '87 Plymouth Horizon