Re: Door skins

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, JWidell625@aol.com
Subject: Re: Door skins
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 16:58:23 +0000
JWidell625@aol.com wrote:

> My 77 B has developed the dreaded "door crack" on the passenger side. I've
> tried to repair it several times, to no avail.I'd like tp rectify the problem
> permanently.  Has anyone had experience with "doors skins", and if so, how
> does one install them? The alternative is a decent used door. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Joel Widell  Marathon, Fl.

My 73 had a crack on the drivers side, when I stripped the door I could see
that
it had started from one of the holes (the front one, I think) on the top.  I
MIG
welded a small piece underneath the crack, but included a small flange round
that
part of the edge of the hole, pointing downwards into the door.  When I
refitted
the mirror I screwed the plinth through the door and into a metal plate about
twice the thickness of a door skin, shaped to the curve of that part of the
skin.
 The top of this plate went to the top of the skin.  When I refitted the
quarterlights I made sure that there was a small gap between them and the seal
on
the windscreen frame.  Also I never allow anyone to shut the door by pushing on
the quarterlight frame or glass.  Six years and 20k miles ... still looks fine.

As a footnote, when the remanufactured shells first appeared I looked at this
part
of the door skin, and lo and behold, they had a flange round the edge of that
hole.

Porter has quite a lengthy description on reskinning a door.

PaulH.