Re: Physics Types

To: "John S. van Syckel" <vansyck@heidelberg-emh11.army.mil>
Subject: Re: Physics Types
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 97 17:05:52 +0200
>I would like to ask for some help from some of you "Physics Types."  I have
>been told that a "Newton/Meter" (or "Meter/Newton") is the metric
>equivalent of foot/pound.
>
>1.  Is this true?

Almost.
The correct term is N.m  ('Newton multiplied by meter', as opposed to what
you write, that is:
'Newton divided by meter').
 The older unit being kg.m  ('kilogram multiplied by meter') which is not
scientfically correct [especially in Germany they are sometimes a bit itchy
about this].

>2.  And if it is, does anyone know how to convert foot/pounds to
>newton/meters (or whatever).

My MGB Workshop Manual gives torque wrench settings both in
lb.ft and kg.m,
e.g. 30 lb.ft equals 4.15 kg.m, this is almost the same as 42 N.m
(as 10 N practically equals 1 kg).

If you want to know the torque wrench setting of any bolts or nuts that are
NOT in your workshop manual, get a copy of the Gedore tool catalog and see the
last pages there.

>I need to know so I can use the correct settings on my
>"Drehmomentschleussel" (Torque Wrench).  I wouldn"t want to torque
>something too little or too much on my LBC.

Bert