Re: Physics Types

To: "John S. van Syckel" <vansyck@heidelberg-emh11.army.mil>
Subject: Re: Physics Types
From: "Mark Shone" <shone@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 23:10:55 +0800
Hi Jay,

'Torque' or 'the moment of a force' or 'the turning effect of a force' (all
the same) is measured in newton metres (NOT newtons PER metre) which as you
stated correctly is measuring the same thing as a pound foot.

To convert from pounds feet (lbf ft) to newton metres (Nm) multiply by
1.356.
To convert from Nm to lbf ft multiply by 0.738.
e.g. 10 lbf ft = 13.56 Nm

Hope this was of some help.

Mark Shone
Physics teacher