Re: My faith was returning until...

To: tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
Subject: Re: My faith was returning until...
From: "William C. Mills" <williem@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 08:08:44 -0400
At 10:35 PM 6/20/97 -0400, you wrote:
snip
>Tom '60 MGA 1600
>
>ps.  Has anyone out there tried to bleed their (MG's) clutch with a Mighty
>Vac?  I tried but fluid just ran into the thing like it wasn't a closed
>system.  Is this because there is no pressure valve like the brakes have?
>or Did I loosen the bleeder too much?  or Is my leaky clutch hose letting
>air in?  I just got the thing (for this purpose) and have so far only used
>it to empty my MC to replace the cover gasket.

Tom,
I used a Mighty Vac to bleed my clutch plumbing a few months ago '74 BGT.
Replaced the slave cylinder
and hose. Put a kit in the clutch M/C.  The Mighty Vac worked well. A few
days later I bleed it again just as a precaution after giving time for  any
entrained air to work their way out of the system.

I like the Vac way of doing this.  One reason to not use the pump-the-pedal
method is that there is
a tendency to push the pedal all the way to the floor when pumping.  This
can send the seals in the master cylinder into the very end of the bore
where they are not usually travelling under normal operation.  Unless the
bore is new or recently honed, this part of the bore can be rough and
quickly wear the edges of the seals.

The clutch M/C has begun to fail already (clutch creep) so it looks like the
kit didn't do the job.  I called Apple Hydraulics about resleeving the M/C.
They have new M/C's for $55, so I ordered one of those instead.

Bill Mills