RE: Scumbags

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Scumbags
From: JP Labuschagne <Jpl@dbsa.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 08:35:56 +0200
I have been reading the scumbags thread for awhile now and I am curious.
In South Africa no car insurance is available without your car having a
certified immobiliser  or an alarm Classic cars under classic car
insurance are an exception. There are to few of them to steal because
the are so noticeable.

However a problem we do have as a result of this is car hijacking. A
hijack in South Africa means you were pulled up at a light, stop sign or
your garage when some individual sticks a gun against your window and
asks for your car, the gun is usually an AK47. They don't usually (note
the word usually shoot people) but the usually get the car. So to
counter this type of theft you can fit a tracking system  or
anti-highjack system to your car.
A tracking system works on a hidden transponder which once you notify
the police or tracking company they trace your car. The anti-highjack
system allows your car to run for about two or three km and cuts out, if
your car is electronic everything shuts down including central locking
and windows, the hooter/horn sounds and the lights flash.

But I must admit I do like the spike idea.