Re: Priorities!

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Priorities!
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:02:47 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Rick Morrison!!

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Rick Morrison wrote:

> output coils and consequently the greater plug gap.  Which you will never
> be able to do with a point type ignition.  The second big plus of

Sorry, Rick, but our '73 "B" with STOCK points ignition is happily
firing Bosch Platinums at app. 0.050" gap.  It's a daily driver, NOT a
car-port queen... and has been very reliable.

> electronic ignitions is the more precise timing, again which a point type
> system cannot hope to obtain.

It's been my experience that the precision of the electric ignition is
degraded by the amount of wear in the timing chain.  To fully utilize
the accuracy of the electronic ignition, you must convert to either the
timing belt drive (relatively cheap), or a gear drive set-up (pricey).

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who once owned a Prefect [English Ford] with
                      mechanical drum brakes...  rods, no cables)