How long on empty??? -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: How long on empty??? -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:21:38 -0400

>>> <Wizzrd1001@aol.com> 06/25/97 11:33am >>>
Just a quick question, approx. how many miles can you get out of your
gas
tank while the needle is pointing to Empty??

I think the answer to this one is "It depends on your guage."  I think
there's enough variance in the senders as well as guage calibration that
it's going to be up to you to figure this out, and it'll only apply to
your car.  Run the tank down near empty, get a gallon or two of gas in a
can, put it in the trunk and go out for a Sunday drive.  When you run
out, you'll know the exact answer to your question.  Use the two gallons
to get yourself back to the gas station.

Also, I've noticed, that when my tank is around a 1/2 tank, there are no
fumes whatsoever in the cabin, but, when the tanks full, or near empty,
the
fumes are unbearable... ...could my carbon cannister need replaced...?

my '74 B has the same symptom.  It could be the cannister, but on my car
I tracked it down to the fuel guage sender.  There's a rubber grommet in
the middle of it it that's not holding the gas in anymore.  (You can see
the moisture on it - right side of the tank, about halfway up.)  I can
get it up to half full without a problem, but when the level of the gas
is above that rubber piece, it's fume city.  I plan to replace it if
Special Interest Car Parts ever decides to send me that catalog.

Happy Driving.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - which takes 5 bucks worth of gas at a time.

  74
1/2 BGT