Re: wiring techniques

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: wiring techniques
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 06:27:40 -0700
At 11:38 PM 6/25/97 -0400, you wrote:

>BIG SNIP

>Rule # 4 Use the right heat range soldering iron/gun.
>
>Too big is better than too small for our usage. A hot iron will get the joint
>to the proper temperature quickly, so you can make the connection and get
>away before the heat has had time to flow to adjacent areas, or up the wire.
>An iron that is too small will take so long to get the joint hot enough that
>the wire will be hot for an appreciable length, and might even damage the
>insulation before you can finish. It is also helpful to use low temperature
>solder.
>
>Of course, you already know all this, but it might be helpful for others on
>the list. Anything you would like to add? Did I get it right?

Dan,

In my line of work I do have access to excellent quality crimp connections
for wire sizes from AWG 22 to 250 MCM (BIG!) but occasionally we still have
to solder, on occasion we even use a cadwelder.

I think your treatise on soldering and wire connections was an excellent
primer and I would offer only two minor additions. One is just a
reinforcement of what you said.  If anyone is thinking of buying a crimp
tool spend the extra bucks and buy a good one, use only pro quality
connectors too. Thomas & Betts manufacture a type of crimp tool and
connectors that crimp WITH the stranding of the wire as opposed to across
it. If the correct size of T&B connector is used with the T&B crimp tool,
the joint is permanent and near perfect.  Unfortunately these are
uninsulated and mostly ring or fork terminals so are of little use except
for grounds and isolated connections like starter leads.

The other thing I'd add, and I can't stress this enough, is that next to
sufficient heat the most important thing about succesful soldering is to
have everything involved very, very clean.  Tin the tip with a small amount
of solder to coat it and promote heat transfer. Use a damp rag or sponge to
quickly wipe a hot soldering tip to remove any ash or scale before applying
the tip to the work.  . Do this repeatedly throughout the work but allow the
tip to heat to working temperature before continuing.  Make sure the parts
to be soldered are clean too. I usually scrape the surface of the wire with
a sharp knife, just till I see shiney copper.  If soldering to a flat
surface I give it a buff with Scotchbrite to get the same effect.

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT