MGB break performance?

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB break performance?
From: "Wade Shanley" <Wadesh@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 97 01:47:27 UT
I've notice a few threads going about good break maintenance/performance.

I recently had the breaks on my 74 MGB completely rebuilt (brand new master
cylinder, break lines, calipers, rotors, pads  everything!).  It cost me a
fortune.

My issue is that I don't think the breaks work as well as they should.  It
seems as though I have to apply a good amount of pressure to the pedal to get
the car to stop.  Is this just the way MGBs breaks are? Am I just spoiled by
modern breaking systems (my daily driver is a 95 Nissan).

You might say I should question the mechanic that did the work, but he has an
excellent reputation.  His shop is constantly filled with Jags, MGs, Triumphs,
Porsche etc...

Before I complain to them, I want to make sure that I'm complaining about
their work and not the physical limits of an MGB breaking system.

Details:  the pedal moves down about 1/4 of the distance before I start to
feel break pressure. Is this a typical amount of free play?

BTW: Thanks to all that helped with suggestions on my no start problem...it's
back running again.  Just in time.  It's 80 and sunny today!