Re: asinine threads

To: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: asinine threads
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 20:15:04 -0400
>   Kai, clearly you don't know what bandwith means. Or worse, you
> know ONE of the meanings of bandwith, but not the fully correct
> one that the original poster was clearly using.

I KNOW the full meaning of bandwidth.

>   The bandwith that he is referring to is "list bandwith", which
> is analogous to human bandwith when reading lists. It's the
> old signal to noise thing.

(Ok, I don't know if you mean the bandwidth that recieves and sends our
messages)
but anyway, blame it one Sprint; just did a traceroute on www.team.net and
triupmh.cs.utah.edu (somethin like taht), Sprint was the bottleneck.
Anyway I dont' feel like arguing...because this is exactly what I am
against.

>   For us to follow this list takes time and effort. We only
> have so much of this time and effort, this is our human
> bandwith.

Delete, Delete...(it only take me a few nanoseconds to fit the delete key).

>   Increasing the useful content of the list increases bandwith,
> but has greater returns, and I don't think we lose users
> because of it. I'll read as many messages a day as I possibly
> can if every one makes me smarter about british cars.
>
>   Increasing the USELESS content of the list increases the
> time commitment required to follow the list, but nobody
> wins. I don't care how somebody voted in the last 9 municipal
> elections, and it takes time out of my day and gives me
> nothing.

Yeah and are you the one right a List FAQ, no I don't think so.  In my
current version or my and soon everyones FAQ I have answered lots of newbie
questions, that will help decrease the bandwidth, and then we can have more
fun :-)

>   Eventually the bandwith of the list (the S/N ratio) becomes
> so low that it's not worth it. The dyi_efi list is a good
> example, it's like 5% EFI discussion and 95% general car
> crap. This scared all the truly useful EFI people away, the
> problem fed itself, and the list is doomed forever.
>
>   This list has a lot of traffic. Who wants to read 50 useless
> messages a day just because they might see one go by that
> could interest them?
>
>   Not me.

Apparently you aren't a member of the Inet-Access List, that is a sorta
cool list.  Lots of good info, and some humor.  And at the end of the
summer we will be holding a version of Geek Jeopardy.  We also have modem
smashing parties at Internet conventions...but the thing is that list is
able to utilize coolness, humor and content...it works.  (even when we
fight about UNIX vs. NT or SPAM or routers).

> --
> Trevor Boicey
> Ottawa, Canada
> tboicey@brit.ca