Re: MGTF rear transmission mount

To: tsouthworth@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: MGTF rear transmission mount
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 12:02:29 EDT
On Thu, 03 Jul 1997 16:28:16 +0000 Truxtun Southworth
<tsouthworth@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>Over the last few weeks a problem has developed in my TF. As I start
>out in first gear
>itıs almost impossible to go from a dead stop without leaving some
>rubber on the road.
>I traced the problem to a cracked rear transmission support which
>seems to allow the
>drivetrain to twist under torque until the clutch engages. Definitely
>not good.  Does
>anyone have experience with replacing this rear mount? Once I unbolt
>it can I jack up
>the transmission and slide it out. I know there is a fork that passes
>through the
>center of the mount. How difficult is it to remove? If anyone has
>tackled this repair
>and can offer me help or suggestions Iıd really appreciate the
>information.
>
>Tuck Southworth

Hi Tuck,
  I have replaced the rear rubber mounts on my car--is that what has
cracked on yours, or is it the tube on which the bracket fits, into which
the little rubber blocks fit?  In any case, you do have to disconnect the
exhaust, loosen the front engine mounts, disconnect the turnbuckle of the
front control link. You also have to lift the transmission tunnel, which
means removing the seats. It took me far longer than I imagined something
simple as this should take. It's all time, not skill, that's involved.
The transmission has to be lifted a lot farther than one would think,
since the pin/link in the center of the rear mount is surprisingly tall.
THat was the hardest part for me, since the top of the transmission hit
something (I forget what).  Had I not replaced the front mount first,
thus raising the front of the engine, I think that the replacement of the
rear mounts would have been easier.  While you are down in the dirt and
the grease, check for wear in the clutch control linkage joints.  I
removed all the pins and levers, got new pins and had the worn holes
filled and fitted to the pins. Great improvement.
Bob