Re: Oil Coolers/alternate radiators???

To: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Coolers/alternate radiators???
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 12:14:22 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Gregory Kirk wrote:
> On much the same lines, I have a Mk1 Midget, 948cc engine, all stock.
> Would I be better to enlarge the radiator? or add an oil cooler?  I've seen
> aftermarket electric cooling fans, would one of these help? Given my

Greg,
radiator fans really only help at standstill or stop and go.  As soon as
you start driving, the air forced through your radiator by your car moving
far outweighs the volume of air moved by the fan.. The fan might actually
imped the air flow.  On your early Midget, you could change the downflow
radiator for a later cross flow unit.  I hear it makes a great difference.

The easiest mod to make would be to add an oil cooler though, so I would
probably do that.

                                                           '67 Sprite