Re: Oil Coolers/alternate radiators???

To: ulix@u.washington.edu, gkirk@empirenet.com
Subject: Re: Oil Coolers/alternate radiators???
From: Spook37211@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 22:28:47 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-06 15:47:46 EDT, ulix@u.washington.edu (U. Goettsch)
writes:

<<
 radiator fans really only help at standstill or stop and go.  As soon as
 you start driving, the air forced through your radiator by your car moving
 far outweighs the volume of air moved by the fan.. The fan might actually
 imped the air flow.  On your early Midget, you could change the downflow
 radiator for a later cross flow unit.  I hear it makes a great difference.

 The easiest mod to make would be to add an oil cooler though, so I would
 probably do that.

Guys,
On a lot of cars, the later cross flow rad will cool the engine so well that
it will actually ride on the t stat.
The oil cooler is useful because if you run the engine hard, the oil temp
will begin to get pretty hot pretty fast.  The cooler helps maintain a temp
that allows the oil to function properly.

On another note:  Ulix, how did the manifold work out?

Ray