Re: Painting

To: prsmith@navnet.net
Subject: Re: Painting
From: pbailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 07:06:02 -0700
Yes Virginia ,You can get a nice paint job from a spray can IF you take
your time
of course it won't be as nice as a good professional job( not Earl
Scheib etc) but it can be done and you will like the results especially
when you look in your wallet.
My car had one side which had been repainted some where in it's history
with laquer which now was cracking(so much for laquer!!)I got tired of
looking at it so I went down to my "friendly" paint shop..."Yup..We can
do it for $500 !!!!...sez He....."screw you sez I"......So I went down
to my local auto paint dealer and found out you can buy original paint
in spray cans for $12 So I bought 3 cans some primer some wet sand paper
from 200 to 2000 grit and tackled the side of my car..after sanding down
to metal all I found was a little patch of bondo about 3" in diameter
and 1/8 th " thick I don't know why the car was painted with laquer in
the first place ...so now I prime it and wet sand between coats wet sand
it down as far as you like,now after letting it dry good make sure the
surface is clean and put the  paint on spraying carefullynot to get any
runs let it dry for a week and then COLOR SAND it using 2000 or finer
grit and a lot of running water if you want to apply another coat ,when
you are done color sanding it will look dull and you will say "what a
waste of time!!"NOW go over it with rubbing compound,then polishing
compound npw you will notice it start to shine...next use Meguires(sp)
swirl remover finally wax it I use Zymol and you will have a nice paint
job that costs under 50 bucks and some one will have to look hard to
notice that it was home done,just remember don't put on the fial coat
until you are sure theprimer is free from flaws as any flaw will show
through the final coat I honestly think someone could do a whole car
this way and get good results,also if you get a cheapie paint job you
could make it look a lot better by color sanding it afterwards.
BTW I did my rubber bumpers the same way and get compliments whereever I
go
good luck and you can do a good job if as I do you have more time than
money....Pat