Re: Painting

To: prsmith@navnet.net
Subject: Re: Painting
From: Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 09:23:58 -0400 (EDT)
Before sanding you should use Prep-Sol solvent made by DuPont.If you can't
find this brand check with an auto paint store. This step is important to
make sure all the wax and silicone is off the part. Don't expect too good
of a paint job by using a spray can. I would recommend doing the whole car
at once. The only paint for a first time painter to use is lacquer. Don't
even think about enamel. A quart of primer and maximum of two quarts of
paint will do the car. After the car is rubbed out it will look like it
came off the show room floor. You should be able to do the whole car for
about $120. Compare that to the cost of a professional job and with the
money you save you will be able to buy a compressor and gun and still have
money left over. If you decide to do the job use a HVLP gun. If needed I
can give you more details on what to buy and how to do the job. Even
if you decide to only do the lid stick with lacquer it is almost
impossible not to get good results.
...Art