Short circut/tach

To: "'mg'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Short circut/tach
From: Randy Rees <randyr@starwave.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 13:58:34 -0700
Well I'm pretty happy with myself, I cured a really weird problem
without crying to the list first.

1. After doing a complete tune-up including points, my 67 MGBGT would
run a while and then die. My father in law help me look for the problem.
No spark. Would crank on it for a few seconds and then it would run
again. I assumed it would be in the distributor as everywhere else that
was supposed to have power did. Just as it died for about the 30th time
I got pissed off and hit the door glass on the top, to my surprise it
coughed and then continued to run. I repeated the gesture and sure
enough the car died. did this two or three times with the same results.

2. Some may remember my thread on the tach that did not read correctly.
Most said it was a ground problem. Well it seems the DPO had twisted the
hot wires together and the used masking tape to insulate. the masking
tape dried out and worked its way down the wire to expose bare wire. it
kept shorting out and the engine would die every time it did. Go figure
how you would ever think to look there otherwise.

3. Since the Tach had to come out for wire repair I decided to finally
do the negative ground conversion. After looking at it for a while I
decided not to destroy the good Pos. Grnd tach, but instead used a newer
68 B neg ground tach and replaced the internals from it into the 67's
housing. only the face and needle where needed off the old tach and
presto.

Randy (pat my own back) Rees