Reading Spark Plugs

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Reading Spark Plugs
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 18:40:03 -0400
Hi Folks,
Here's an interesting little topic. ( Well I think so anyway)
Is it possible to "fine tune" your carb mixtures by looking at the
condition of your plugs?  If so, here's some questions:
A recent post said that the outer plugs (#1 and 4) tend to run rich, at
least on an MGB.  Does this apply to a Midget and if so , why?
If the engine was burning oil or if there was a slight ignition miss on o=
ne
or more cylinders, wouldn't this confuse the issue.  =

Is it OK to use a brass wire brush to clean the plugs.
JC Whitney has something that uses grit and is powered by the car battery=
=2E =

Cost $8.  Anybody used it?
Are we looking for a light brown color?  The cleanest plug so far,#4, has=
definite reddish deposit.
Don't we want a slightly rich mixture for more power?  Wouldn't this
eventually foul the plugs with carbon?  =

Should the spark plug gap be kept at 25 thou.  I have a Sports Coil but
regular CB points.
In the mornings, I need to do the "in and out and in and out" thing on th=
choke as I go through the gears to keep it running smooth until it is
warmed up nicely.  Is this normal

Like the man says, "Old farts want to know!"

Adrian.    (Being an old fart sure beats the alternative!)