Re: Wheel swap decision

To: ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU, mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Wheel swap decision
From: "Lishego, Michael" <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 21:18:03 EST
Date sent:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 17:57:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:           Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
To:             Wally Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Copies to:      mgs@autox.team.net
Send reply to:  Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>

Sorry to reply so late, but I was away from my computer over the
extended weekend.  I am in the process of switching my '74 to wires,
and it has been a bit of a pain.  The front wheel components were all
OK, but to remove my old ones took some time.  I also found out that
you have to change the whole rear end unless you have a way of
pulling the axle half-shafts.  When you switch rear ends, you have to
switch e-brake cables also.  I think, personally, that it's a really
neat conversion, and if you got 'em, you might as well use 'em.
Besides, when will you ever get the chance to own something so
"British" as wire wheels?
                                        Good Luck,
                                        Mike

    Even though the spoked wheels can be a problem they add value and
looks to the car. My suggestion would be to switch the rear axle,
not a real big job and switch the complete front suspension, again not a
big deal. It's only held on with a few bolts. While the suspension is off
you could take some time and rebuild it. The winter months are a good time
to do this assuming you have a basement to work in. It is a lot easier to
work on the suspension if you don't have to crawl around on the ground!
...Art

~On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Wally Teto wrote:

> Many thanks to Todd, Rick and the others who responded with great
> ideas and personal experience on my decision of whether to swap my disk
> wheels for wires.  I had thought that I could get away in the rear with
y> swapping half-shafts, but apparently this is not possible.  And I had