Re: Wire Wheel Paint

To: Patton Dickson <kpatton@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Paint
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 07:57:33 -0400
At 11:46 AM 7/9/97 -0500, Patton Dickson wrote:
>Hello fellow listers...
>
>What type/color of paint should I use when painting my Sprite's Wire
>wheels.  I know that Moss sells their own "correct color" wire wheel
>paint in spray cans, but I don't want to spend that money if I don't
>have to.  I just want to get the color close, while keeping durability.
>
>Thanks
>Patton
>
>PS if you are interested in what my car looked like when I brought it
>home in '85, I have added 4 pictures from that fateful day to my web
>site.
>
>What is really scary is that, from the outside, it looks better then
>than it does now!!! Check it out!!!
>--
>'67 Austin Healey Sprite MKIV
>My new improved Spritepage is found at...
>http://www.GEOCITIES.COM/TheTropics/Shores/1256/page2.html

I have painted wires and solids. For the silver on either, I paint with
ordinary silver, Krylon, what ever. I let the silver set up for two or
three minutes, then lightly paint with clear. This will dull the silver to
the correct color silver-grey. Repeat clear 10 minutes later if  still too
silver. Don't put too much clear on at one time, makes the silver run. As
for solid B wheels, I masked the wheel by hand, takes 15 minutes a wheel
and used satin black. Came out real nice. All paints from the local
discount store in a spray can

Mike