Re: Wire Wheel Paint

To: "Leckstein" <bleckstein@monmouth.net>,
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Paint
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 21:04:22 -0400
I have painted both wires and disc wheels with the following technique, but
WARNING: it requires you either live alone, or have a very understanding
spouse...

I use Plastikote engine enamel in the appropriate color (I'm not too picky
about the exact shade of silver, etc.).  This paint will dry to the touch
almost as quickly as lacquer, but for real durability you need to bake it.
I let it air dry for about 1/2 hour, then put it in the oven at 300 degrees
for an hour.  Just to satisfy myself that I have enough paint on it, I do
this three times.  I try to do most of it when my wife is at work, then
stay out of the house myself while it cooks, 'cause it don't smell like
bread baking.  The smell only lasts for about 15 or 20 minutes each time.

As far as rostyle wheels, masking is the only way to go for a neat looking
job.  I did five wheels like this when I restored my Midget, and how long
it takes depends on how good you want the finished product to be.  I
sprayed each wheel silver all over, then baked it (three times), then
masked it off (an X-acto knife comes in handy here) and sprayed the black
areas.  These I just baked one time, since I didn't want to mask it more
than once.  This was a lot of work, but after 8,000 miles, they all look
like they just came out of the oven.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
'66 BJ8  HBJ8L/36666  "TARHEELY"
'63 BJ7 HBJ7L/20111 ("Resting" the last 10 years)
Why can't they put manholes in the MIDDLE of the lane?