Re: 76 MGB fuses?

To: HGlenBetts@aol.com
Subject: Re: 76 MGB fuses?
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 06:43:34 -0500
HGlenBetts@aol.com wrote:

> Almost finished the new wiring harnesses on the 76B. Only had to change a few
> connecters and had to get a little creative with broken lugs on the starter
> silenoid. The answer on the collection of BROWN wires was apparantly that
> they all connect together  in a block?? Since I had very few wires under the
> hood to begin with and the fuse box was trashed I have no idea what amp fuses
> to use. Four spaces as follows...
>
>       wire      fuse      wire
>      Brown..............purple
>       white..............green
>     jumper..............red
> red/green..............red

Glen -
        All 4 fuses should be the standard 17 amp current rated, 35 amp blow
rated fuses that came in the car originally.

Brown wire - always hot, unfused.
Purple wire - always hot, fused
White wire - hot with ignition ON, unfused.
Green wire - hot with ignition ON, fused.
Red wire - parking lights, fused or unfused.
Red/green wire - Light switch to fuse box.

> Would you recommend undersizing the fuses until I've tried everything with a
> load? in case I've mis-wired something.

Probably not, the fuse should blow before the Lucasaide (smoke) leaks
out of any of the wires.  Unless you have a dead short at the other end
of the wire, the device at that end should work.

> Another item, in the fuel pump area (mine is after market in the trunk)
> running with break line and some wiring is a very thin 'vacume line' that
> terminates in the frame. Where does the other end belong??

That would be the air vent line from the original SU fuel pump.  The
after market pump you have probably doesn't need it.

Good Luck!
--
Keep on keepin' on!
(non illegitimus carborundus)