Re: parts solvent

To: mgbob@juno.com
Subject: Re: parts solvent
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 07:45:17 -0400 (EDT)

<< "stoddard solvent" is used, among other places, at so-called "dry
 cleaners".  Dry cleaning establishments have recently received a lot of
 press for supposed adverse effects on the neighbors caused allegedly by
 the fumes from the solvents they use.
 I have never had enough things to clean to justify investigation of
 Safety Kleen, so have always relied on kerosine.
 Bob
 On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 07:41:23 -0500 Mike Lewellen <mlewellen@fruit.com>
 writes:
 >I'm working on my MGB (the clutch is out) and restoring a 59 MGA.  I
 >just read a thread where someone referred to stoddard solvent.  What
 >is
 >that?  I have purchased a parts cleaner but I have not put any solvent
 >in it yet. Where can you purchase the solvent used in parts cleaners.
 >I know Safety-Kleen provides a service for commercial garages but I
 >don't know if similar solvent is available on the consumer market.
 >
 >I know I can use kerosene( too slimy) as a last resort but I prefer a
 >solvent if I can find it.
 >
 >Anybody got any ideas???

I think Stoddard solvent is the same thing as the paint thinner you buy at
the hardware, which is what I've been using.  I thought dry cleaners used to
use trichlorethelene, or maybe chlorethane(sp).  The only reason I use the
Stoddard solvent (which I think is a brand name) is that it is easy to obtain
and does the job.

Scott