Re: parts solvent

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: parts solvent
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:30:02 -0500
At 07:45 AM 7/11/97 -0400, Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

>I think Stoddard solvent is the same thing as the paint thinner you buy at
>the hardware, which is what I've been using.  I thought dry cleaners used to
>use trichlorethelene, or maybe chlorethane(sp).  The only reason I use the
>Stoddard solvent (which I think is a brand name) is that it is easy to obtain
>and does the job.
>
>Scott

Close, Scott.  Stoddard Solvent is simply a name which refers to a solvent
which certain physical properties.  It can actually have several
constituents reliant on the manufacturer of the product.  Petroleum
distillates and other low concentration volatiles help to clean the gunk.
I believe it was once, and still may be used in the dry cleaning industry
to clean heavy stains and such.  The main chemical in the dry cleaning
industry though, is tricloroethene (TCE), the cause of many environmental
problems lately near those dry cleaners.
I suggest you just get any commercially available solvent from your parts
store.  Safety Kleen is only applicalbe for the commercial sector and not
consumer use.
I've found kerosene and Gunk concentrate do a good job, but you might want
to have some volatile solvent to wash away any oil from the kerosene.  In
other words, use the kerosene and Gunk to get rid of the heavy grease, and
use your mineral spirits to get the part really clean, like you need for
your master cylinder walls and other brake parts.

Jay