TF mystery

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TF mystery
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 17:22:38 -0400
Over a year ago I reported the odd occurrence of my 54 TF "breaking up"
while cruising along at 3800 rpm and taking on a very slight grade on the
interstate. If I pushed in the clutch and let the rpms drop for a second
the car recovered. The engine never died or coughed, and the engine would
rev with the clutch in but would not recover unless it rested for a second
or two . I could get through this without much loss of speed, but it was
annoying.

In other situations, or around town, the car ran great. In fact I usually
forgot about the problem  until I would go on a GOF, and drive for some
time on the interstates to get there. Last month I drove from N.J. to
Boston for the NEMGTR GOF and it drove me crazy.

I have done the following.
rebuilt the carbs, changed the needle and seats, floats, jets and needles.

changed the fuel pump, blew the lines, changed the tank screen

changed the coil, points condenser and plugs.

It was even suggested that the air cleaners were clogged, so I tried
driving without them. I also checked that the carb overflows were clear.
Nothing helped.

I bit the bullet and removed the head which was done three years ago to
replace a burned valve and I when I had installed bronze valve guides with
stellate valves so as to run un leaded.  The problem was with the guides
which apparently oxidized, would heat up and then move within the valve
guide bore.

Redid the head with old fashioned guides, stellate valves, and the problem
is gone.

Anyone else with bronze  valve guide problems?

Mike Leckstein