clunk at shift

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: clunk at shift
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 08:30:18 -0400
Hello List!

A new and unhappy sound has popped up in my '65 MkIII Sprite. When I
release the clutch, a distinctive clunk or pop goes off. It sounds like
it's coming from the rear, possibly with a bias towards the driver's side.
It only happens at upshift, not downshift, and immediately follows clutch
release (that is, as my foot comes up off the clutch pedal) and if I'm
simultaneously accelerating.

I just did the first round of maintenance on the car (only had it since
June) and this sound appeared on the second drive following coming off of
the jack stands. Here's what I did while the car was in the air:

1. Changed all fluids (oil, transmission, and differential).
2. Greased all all lube points.
3. Replaced rear brake shoes and bled brakes.
4. Adjusted handbrake cable tension.
5. Removed rust from all 5 wire wheels, painted, had new tubes and rim
guards mounted with old tires and balanced.
6. Rotated tires as per manual.

Note: in replacing brake shoes, I followed the shop manual directions too
literally and ended up with the driver's side half axle in my lap! I slid
this back in, everything seemed to go back together just fine. I replaced
the paper gasket, but the rubber O ring looked OK, so was left as is.

Any ideas on what this sound could be? Did I miss something in replacing
the half axle?

As always, thanks for your time and patience.

Jeff

Jeff Boatright                '65 Sprite Mk III (funfunfun)
Editor-in-Chief, Mol. Vis.    '47 Cessna 140 (in pieces)
http://www.emory.edu/molvis   '87 Horizon (full cab pick-up)
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html