sreaming alternator

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: sreaming alternator
From: Jim McDougal <JimMcD74@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 05:53:03 -0700
Dear Collective Wisdom,

        Sysiphus has finnaly given me annother problem to solve. It has
been driven every day since the begining of December, after having taken
a year long state-imposed slumber. I had it smogged by a pro a few weeks
ago, and a few days later, it developed a squeel, no more of a scream.
The scream doesn't start untill a few minutes after it gets to operating
temperature, and it does often stop after being reved or run at over
2500 RPM for a short while. It will restart after being returned to
idle. It doesn't start sreaming untill it is above 1,000 RPM, and if it
is in screaming mode, the idle will drop from it normal 800 RPM to 600
RPM.

        I suspect either the water pump (a new cast iron one purchased
and installed in december), or the alternator (rebuilt unit purchased
two years ago). I know it is not the air pump because I disconnected it
as a test. I haven't had any noticeable power supply problems (even with
my CD player on). My question to you is: Is there a way that I can lube
or repair the offending bearing, without having to buy annother rebuilt
part?

                Thanking you for your advice in advance,
                        Jim McDougal
                        '74 MGB Sysiphus
                        '83 GTI Three-Speed