Re: sreaming alternator

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com
Subject: Re: sreaming alternator
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 18:54:41 EDT
Larry,
 I think you're right about the belt dressing on a serpentine belt.
Something is screwy with this truck. The belt chirps. It isn't slipping,
but at low and medium revs it will start the noise. I have swapped belts
repeatedly, tried reversing them so they roll the other way, asked GM
about it, asked NAPA about it. Always, it's you need a new belt. I ask,
howcome the belt you sold me last week is squealing. You need a new belt.
 There's another Gates somewhere that is as rich as Bill from all the
belts I bought before I started experimenting.  Actually, Son of a Gun
works better than Armorall, and some wet silicone liquid works better
yet. A squirt about every ten days quiets the thing.
 What I suspect is that some pulley isn't straight on the belt, but I
can't find which one, so silicone it is until a better idea comes along.
Bob