RE: Timing causing overheating?

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <Trmgafun@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Timing causing overheating?
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:59:22 -0400
Ulix wrote:

>> I think you should first calibrate your gauge by immersing the sending
>> unit into a pot of water together with a kitchen thermometer (or the like)
>> and heating the water.  Write down what reading corresponds to 190,
>> 200, 210, etc.  If you don't have a thermometer, boil the water and it
>> will be 212 degrees.
>> After you have done this, you know you are not chasing a nonexisting
>> problem.

Scott Helms replied:

> Well today I borrowed a lab thermometer from work, checked it with
> boiling water in a beaker, it check out OK, so I brought it home.  I started
> my car (MGA) and let it run at around 2,000 RPM for about 10 to 15
> minutes.  I then removed the radiator cap, which I had left loose, and
> placed the thermometer into the antifreeze.  My temperature gauge was
> reading just below 212 deg. F and the lab thermometer read 84 deg. C,
> which is well below 212 deg. F.  If this is an accurate way to compare the
> two, then I guess I have a problem with my temperature gauge, and not
> the coolant system, which is good news. How is the gauge calibrated at
> this point?

The sending unit for the guage measures the temp of the water in the
head ... you measured the temp of the water in the radiator ... as Ulix
posted, ya need to immerse the sending unit in boiling water to really
determine the accuracy  of the guage.  The problem is that the sending
unit is typically a 'PITA' to remove ... take care that ya don't damage it
or the line.

Safety Fast!  ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII