Re: Timing causing overheating?

To: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@blazenet.net>
Subject: Re: Timing causing overheating?
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 01:41:12 -0700
Charlie Baldwin wrote:

> Nope, I don't think so. I changed the subject line of this thread..
> Perhaps we can get some scientific explanations as to why retarded
> timing would contribute to the engine running hotter..

I missed this thread, so parden me if I jump right in......
Some engines can be sensitive to retarded timing inthat the combustion
will still be continuing when the exhaust valve opens and some time
after. This causes a lot of heat to be dissapated further down stream,
where it can cause the exhaust manifold to get hotter than it normally
would.
Now the air pump in emission controlled engines intentionally tries to
burn the excess mixture in the exhaust manifold, but I think that the
cooler air injected negates the additional heat.
-Aron-
"in a frenzy"